  Re: Molecular biology
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 26 Jan 2011 20:36:17
Message: <4d40cc11$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/26/2011 3:34 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> pretty useless for "anything" at all, unlike you. But, I would lay odds
>> that you are the rare exception, with a fair certainty of being right,
>> with respect to the number that have them, and don't either believe the
>> stuff they are selling (which doesn't change scamming people with them
>> being illegal), or *intentionally* scamming them with the things. This
>> doesn't mean you ban the cards, it means you make frakking law so that
>> they can't "entertain" anyone with them either, with being very precise
>> what that means, and that it doesn't mean, "Charge them stupid amounts
>> of money for it, or less, lot and lots of times."
>
> That gets a bit too far into the "nanny state" for my tastes.
>
> BTW, I did note you spelt "frakking" right. ;-)
>
> Jim

We do this on a regular basis for "companies" that are even as small as
a mom and pop outfit, where they have to be actually *selling* what they
claim, and it has to work as advertised. Oddly, the law says that we not
only don't, but, thanks to some morons, and congressmen, though as Mark
Twain stated, "I repeat myself", you can have a multi-billion dollar
"company" that advertises one thing, sells someone else (most of the
stuff from "psychic networks", to homeopathy), and the law *can't* do
anything about it. Apparently, if you are MGM, you can be sued for
delivering a blank screen, while promising a movie, and badly enough
that you may lose your business, but if you are selling "energy
balancing" bracelets, or the like, you may only lose a few thousand, and
have the change the logo.

Its not about nanny stating. Its about getting rid of the damn loopholes
that let them do what *is* illegal otherwise, but, due to some stupid
idiocy, is either not prosecutable, not *really* illegal, in that
context, or is somehow specially privileged, so untouchable. Its about
honesty in advertising, and honesty in delivery. Neither of which means
jack, if all the person has to do is jab on a label that says, "I really
didn't mean everything I just said in 50 TV commercials, the 8 hours I
spent selling it at the convention, or implied with 800 testimonials,
mostly from people I paid to make them.", and get off scott free from
being called a liar, let alone jail time, or a sufficient punishment to
stop it happening again.

And you know the really insane thing about it? Most of this crap is made
and shipped from places like China, Taiwan, and everyone *but* the US.
So you have con artists, or just nuts, selling this stuff, basically
untouchable, as long as they put the proper legerdemain on it, and its
not even benefiting anyone *here*, but some bozo in another country, who
is laughing their asses off at both the buyer, and the seller.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {