POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:22:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Jan 2011 18:34:25
Message: <4d40af81$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 20:13:10 -0800, Darren New wrote:
>
>> Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> I think it could be legally argued that since the technology didn't
>>> erase- upon-playback that it was implied that the content might/could
>>> be viewed more than once.
>> Um, it's Sony's device playing back, not the copyright holder's device.
>> The fact that Sony didn't make it erase doesn't allow Sony to make
>> copies of someone *else's* video.
>
> But the question was about watching a time-shifted programme more than
> once...
>
> At least that was what I understood the question to be.  Was I wrong?

I'm still failing to see the relevance.

The court ruled that you were allowed to record the live broadcast for the
purpose of playing it back once at a later time.

There was no decision about playing it back more than once.

Since there is a valid and legal use for Sony's recording technology, Sony
is not engaging in contributory copyright violation. (I.e., just like the
Xerox photocopier decision.)

I don't see how whether Sony's machine erases the content after you watch it
has anything to do with whether it's legal to watch it more than once, any
more than the fact the photocopier doesn't ever check for copyright notices
makes photocopying copyrighted textbooks universally legal.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"