POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:20:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 26 Jan 2011 17:08:42
Message: <4d409b6a$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 20:15:50 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Take Jammie Thomas, for example
>
> You know, I've *never* seen anyone sued for downloading music or books
> or movies. Have you?  Do you have a cite to such a case?

I don't know if that distinction has been made in any of the cases filed.

> She wasn't sued for *downloading* the files. She was sued for
> distributing unknown numbers of copies to other people. She would have
> been just as sued if she own the CDs she ripped the files from.

I think the "making available" argument more or less takes it as read
that she acquired the files illegally as well, but the majority of
damages issued has to do with the number of people who allegedly got the
file from her rather than the download she did.

But I haven't followed it closely.

Jim