POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Artificial life : Re: Artificial life Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:12:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Artificial life
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Jan 2011 11:45:35
Message: <4d404faf$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> If you assume we aren't in the middle, then the only reasonable conclusion
>> is that space itself is expanding, i.e. that everything is the middle.  If
>> we're actually in the middle, it's possible space is completely static, and
>> everything is just moving away from the center, without any additional space
>> being created between galaxies.
>
>   In that situation, why would someone in a galaxy not in the center of the
> universe not see all the other galaxies receding?

They would, but it would be asymetrical. The galaxies between them and us
would be receding from them more slowly than the galaxies on the other side
of them from us.

>   (Anyways, I think that the reason why the universe must be expanding
> rather than all galaxies receding from us simply because they got an
> initial velocity away from the center is that in the latter case all the
> galaxies would be receding from us at the same speed regardless of
> distance, while in an expanding universe the farther away from us the
> galaxy is, the faster its recession speed, which is what is observed.)

Unless the galaxies all exploded out at different speeds, so of course the
ones farther away are receding at higher speeds. ;-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"