POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Invisible
Date: 26 Jan 2011 04:24:23
Message: <4d3fe847$1@news.povray.org>

>>> Game consoles? Blu-ray players? DVD players? No, none of those are
>>> popular at all.
>>
>> Last time I checked, a DVD player isn't a "computer system".
>
> Wow. You really think so?
>
> Shit, man, my TV runs Linux. My TV takes longer to boot than my XBox does.

Yeah, my mum's TV takes an inexplicably long time to turn on. As does
the expensive BluRay player. (Actually, the menu system on that looks
suspiciously like the menu on my sister's PS3...)

> But the people who don't know there's a computer in the DVD player
> aren't the people who will be cracking the DRM on DVD disks, is it?

Well, no, you get some computer software for playing DVDs and crack
that. Much easier than cracking custom hardware and voiding your warranty.

>> (FWIW, *my* cassette machine actually has a computer in it. Not joking.)
>
> So does my vacuum cleaner. Figure that one out. (And not even the vacuum
> part. Just the power head. $75 to replace the computer in the brush.)

Hehehe. And to think Eric has a vacuum cleaner so old it's made of
Bakelite, and it still works...