POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Artificial life : Re: Artificial life Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Artificial life
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Jan 2011 00:24:23
Message: <4d3fb007@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> On 25/01/2011 08:11 PM, Warp wrote:
>
>>>    My take: If there is life in the Universe (which happens to be the case),
>>> some of that life must have been the first one to form. Well, we might just
>>> be that first, don't you think?
>
>> My understanding of general relativity is limited, but I was under the
>> impression that "first" is not a meaningful concept at relativistic
>> velocities.
>
>   That would be paradoxical.
>
>   Assume that intelligent life evolves in planet A, and it starts sending
> radio signals to outer space. These radio signals eventually reach planet B.
>
>   Some time later life evolves in planet B to a point where they can receive
> these signals from A. Clearly, intelligent life evolved in A first, and in
> B after that.

If A and B are separated by space-like distances, neither is first. Here
you're postulating that A and B (where A and B are the evolution of initial
radio-emitting life) are separatd by time-like distance.

As you say, if one is in the past light-cone of the other, there's a first
and a second. It only gets ambiguous where neither of the two 4D events are
in the direct past light-cone of the other.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"