POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Artificial life : Re: Artificial life Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Artificial life
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Jan 2011 00:21:49
Message: <4d3faf6d$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> I always enjoyed thinking about such things. What if we really *are* in the
>> middle of the universe, and it's not that space is expanding, but only that
>> everything really is rushing away from us because it all started right near
>> here? :-)
>
>   What's the difference?

Well, if it was my way, we'd be special. Or at least in a special place.

If you assume we aren't in the middle, then the only reasonable conclusion
is that space itself is expanding, i.e. that everything is the middle.  If
we're actually in the middle, it's possible space is completely static, and
everything is just moving away from the center, without any additional space
being created between galaxies.  It kind of changes the whole viewpoint of
the Big Bang. (Yes, I know it's nonsense, but think of it in a sci-fi novel
kind of way.)  All of space already existed, then there was this big
explosion right about where we are, and everything is still rushing away
from that.

Or perhaps space isn't expanding, but since we're in the center, time is
slowing down as you move farther away. The galaxies aren't red-shifted
because they're receding, but because their time is actually running slower
the farther you get from the center. Which, again, supports us as being the
first species to have evolved to sapience, since we happen to be in the area
of the universe where time is running fastest.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"