POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Artificial life : Re: Artificial life Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:18:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Artificial life
From: Warp
Date: 25 Jan 2011 18:44:13
Message: <4d3f604d@news.povray.org>
> On 25/01/2011 08:11 PM, Warp wrote:

> >    My take: If there is life in the Universe (which happens to be the case),
> > some of that life must have been the first one to form. Well, we might just
> > be that first, don't you think?

> My understanding of general relativity is limited, but I was under the
> impression that "first" is not a meaningful concept at relativistic
> velocities.

  That would be paradoxical.

  Assume that intelligent life evolves in planet A, and it starts sending
radio signals to outer space. These radio signals eventually reach planet B.

  Some time later life evolves in planet B to a point where they can receive
these signals from A. Clearly, intelligent life evolved in A first, and in
B after that.

  If there was an external frame of reference where the intelligent life
forms in B before it forms in A, from this frame of reference it would look
like B is receiving radio signals from A before any intelligent life in A
has evolved (and started sending those signals). In other words, from this
frame of reference it would look like B is receiving radio signals from the
future. This would be paradoxical.

  (Obviously if the external observer can see the radio signals arriving
at B, and hence see that B has evolved to the point of being able to receive
and interpret those signals, this external observer can trace the source of
those signals to A and see what is sending them.)

--
                                                          - Warp