POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:21:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 25 Jan 2011 17:16:16
Message: <4d3f4bb0$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/25/2011 2:56 PM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> More to the point, Steam does genuinely *useful* stuff.
>>>
>>> In all, it works rather nicely.
>>>
>> Only drawbacks with it tend to be: No extra/modded content for games,
>> unless you download the non-steam exe some place, and no trainers.
>
> I don't know about that... For games actually developed by Valve, they
> *give* you the damned modding tools for free! And, for example, every
> new update for Team Fortress 2 includes a stackload of custom maps that
> various people outside Valve have developed. Connect to just about any
> TF2 or CSS server and it starts downloading custom maps that the server
> admins have put up on their server... there's a *stackload* of custom
> content! And usually you don't even need to *do* anything to access it.

Yeah, depends heavily on the game. Trainers are a bigger problem anyway,
since they don't mod files, they effectively "latch" into the engine, so
as to mod the data while in-game. Hacking the game file, with checksums
and other messes is harder, apparently. But, you *need* the latch points
to be right for it to work. Ironically, you can thank Windows continues
bad security that it even works at all with non-Steam versions. lol

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {