  Re: Molecular biology
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 25 Jan 2011 16:24:46
Message: <4d3f3f9e$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/24/2011 3:20 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 21:17:01 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>
>> Point is, usually the "method" goes hand in hand with the failure to
>> learn the facts needed to make an effective decision. Odds are, the vast
>> majority of people with Tarot cards *do not* use them as a system to
>> work out what to do, based on knowing sufficient facts.
>
> Sure, there are bad people in the world.  That's also a consequence of a
> free society - some people will take advantage of other people.
>
> The solution isn't to remove the thing that people use to be dishonest,
> it's to address the dishonesty head on.  Which is what law is intended to
> do.
>
> The same argument can be made about gun control:  rather than heavily
> regulate guns in the US, make the bad usages illegal and deal with those
> who break the law.
>
> Jim
The only flaw in that is you can't go back and "undo" things that
already happened. Making bad uses illegal is meaningless if the "bad
use" is something like people dying, or losing all of their money.
Ironically, there **are** laws on the books, lots of them, making doing
either to someone illegal. Oddly enough, they have no effect at all at
either preventing the misuse of a gun, when they are easily available,
or preventing people's money stolen from them for what *they* are
convinced is real, but the shop owner only gets by with even selling at
all by labeling it "entertainment" (this rule can vary from place to
place, but in most cases the law says its legal only as an amusement).

Its con artist lying about being a magician, so that they can rob people
that believe magic actually works. Or, its someone that thinks it does
work, pretending to be a magician, because its not legal to do it
otherwise, unintentionally robbing gullible people that also believe in
it out of their money. Either way, its not strictly legal for them, at
least under a lot of laws, to claim they can *actually* do any of it,
any more than it is legal for someone selling a bottle of mostly water
(i.e. homeopathy) to *actually* claim that their tap water can cure
cancer. The problem is, more than half the idiots writing the laws
either have stake in the same game/business, or believe in it, and thus
these giant loopholes exist, like being able to sell, say, Airborne,
with no evidence, fake credentials, fake creators, fake "research
institutes", outright bold face lie about all of it, then get by with it
because the only "legal" requirement is that they do not specifically
claim that it "cures" anything (though you can claim it helps, even if
the evidence is all fishy, inconsistent, and not generally accepted by
anyone but the quacks), and it says it is a "supplement". Same, as I
said, with Tarot card readers, and the like. As long as its
"entertainment", it doesn't matter if the thief charges the target 50
cents, $50 dollars, or $50,000 dollars, they paid for an
"entertainment", and can only get in trouble of the person scammed
actually sues them, and can prove the thief *actually* claimed it was real.

Thankfully, or perhaps sadly, this isn't often too hard, whether it be
the rather inconvenient corpse resulting from lax gun control, or the
fact that nearly every practitioner of bullshit, not matter how cleverly
they work the loopholes, tends to "believe" their own BS, making it hard
for them to argue they charged someone $50,000 to be "entertained".

Or, to put it another way, you can't legislate human behavior,
gullibility, or wishful thinking by making the *outcomes* illegal. You
can only do it by limiting the range of situations where those behaviors
will produce a negative outcome. And you *definitely* can't do it if the
consequences are purely post-hoc, do not address the underlying reason
why people keep doing it, like mental illness, or poor education, and
instead do nothing but increase the jail time, or otherwise fiddle with
the punishment. You either have to prevent the behavior on some level,
or you have to make sure as few people as possible see it as a viable
option.

Some things, like psychic BS is so easy to pull, and so close to the
pre-existing "wish fulfillment" people seek anyway, that the "costs" of
getting caught, never mind the likelihood of failing to find a victim
are both easily accepted. Like a pick pocket in a room full of blind
people, with bad counting skills, and no guards. The odds that most of
them will even notice you lifting a few coins is small, and you only do
get in trouble of you are stupid enough to get overly greedy. The
cost... might be fairly high, or it might be simply not being allowed
into the innumeracy club for the blind again. If its the later, its
simple enough to just find new people to pick pocket. And *that* is the
case with "psychic" gibberish (and religions, but that is another
matter). With guns, its a bit different. We know the consequences are
stupidly high for the victim, we have set the consequence about as high
as we can get it (or as high, in places with death penalties), yet... we
have lowered the bar, in some places, to the risk of it actually
happening, the availability of the tool used to do so, and all other
factors, including the "need" some people insist they have to own dozens
of those tools, to the point where its like hoping that people don't
show up at the next comic con wearing cheesy costumes. You will *always*
be disappointed, since nearly everyone will do it, and no matter how
much you legislate the consequence, there will be the one person that
tries to show up as "the nude avenger", or something else that crosses
what ever line you placed on how bad, cheesy, or questionable the costume.

In short, make it so every has a gun, anyone can carry one, and do
**nothing** to address **any** of the other issues, or what ever excuse
there is for allowing people to get by with so many other things via
loopholes, or easy access, or failure of any oversight, when the
*actual* thing they did is illegal as hell already, and can't be made
any more so... well, the value of that is highly debatable when the
people that are injured as a result of failing to address anything but
the post-hoc punishment of the shooter, or scammer, or bank baron, or
rapist, or whatever, are either dead, scarred for life, bankrupt, or
otherwise seriously/permanently injured.

In case you are not getting what I am saying, I have no problem with
people selling Tarot cards. I have a set myself, though I found them
pretty useless for "anything" at all, unlike you. But, I would lay odds
that you are the rare exception, with a fair certainty of being right,
with respect to the number that have them, and don't either believe the
stuff they are selling (which doesn't change scamming people with them
being illegal), or *intentionally* scamming them with the things. This
doesn't mean you ban the cards, it means you make frakking law so that
they can't "entertain" anyone with them either, with being very precise
what that means, and that it doesn't mean, "Charge them stupid amounts
of money for it, or less, lot and lots of times."

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {