POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Cops don't have to protect you? : Re: Cops don't have to protect you? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 13:17:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cops don't have to protect you?
From: Warp
Date: 25 Jan 2011 15:21:45
Message: <4d3f30d9@news.povray.org>
> But this sort of tendency was exactly what I was talking about when I asked
> if you think your government is taking care of business. If this happened in
> your country, would you be shocked and outraged? Or would you just say
> "Well, of course the police aren't on your side."

  I have not heard any relevant horror stories about the Finnish police,
and overall they seem to be quite ok, competent and on people's side.
Any dubious police activity most often happens because they don't have
any choice as it's the lawmakers who force them to act, rather than it
being caused by the policemen themselves being a**holes. (In fact, police
officials sometimes publicly comment on laws they don't find very pleasant
because of many reasons, the least of them not being that they needlessly
take valuable resources away from solving more serious crimes. For example,
the police has to spend significant amount of resources to enforce the
stupid and draconian copyright laws, and these resources are away from
solving more serious crimes such as rapes, homicides, robberies and
violence.)

--
                                                          - Warp