POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Artificial life : Re: Artificial life Server Time
3 Sep 2024 13:14:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Artificial life
From: UncleHoot
Date: 25 Jan 2011 14:30:44
Message: <4d3f24e4$1@news.povray.org>
news:4d3dac89$1@news.povray.org...

> On the other hand, I'm still at a loss for how to include all this
> interesting stuff without the simulation slowing down to the point where
> it's slower than *actual* evolution...

I remember my high school chemistry teacher once taking the time to mention
"how improbable we are".  When you consider everything from getting ANY type
of life started in the first place, right up until the point where sentient
life develops, it really makes you think.  I've even heard it said that
without the moon, there is no chance that humans would have developed, since
it has often protected us from asteroid impact.  Every time organisms
started evolving to a certain level, BANG!

Anyway, yes.  There are so many things to consider that it really makes you
wonder if we actually are alone in the universe.  Perhaps the odds of life
evolving to this point are 1x10^21 to 1.  I'd like to think that's not the
case, but it does make me wonder.  At that point, it becomes more of a
philosophical issue, rather than a scientific one.  At this point, we have
"one in a row" to work with, which really doesn't help very much.