POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:19:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Darren New
Date: 25 Jan 2011 13:13:01
Message: <4d3f12ad@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> the exact type of headlight bulb my car needs,

Fun fact: When I was first driving, cars had one of two types of headlights:
square, or round.  If you needed new headlight, you went into the store and
said "I need a square headlight" and they'd sell it to you and it would fit.

(Square was actually rectangular, but people just said square. :-)

> If you ask about Bach, they look at you as if you're slightly strange.

I went into one store to see if there was any new Jarre out. Since Jarre
didn't have an apprpriate category, you had to figure out if he was in
classical, jazz, electronic, or what.  So I get in line behind another older
woman to ask the young girl working there where Jarre would be.

Older woman: "Where would you have Beethoven's Ninth?"
Girl: "Beethoven's Ninth what?"
Older woman, a bit stunned: "Beethoven's Ninth *Symphony*!"
Girl: "Oh, symphonies are classical. They're over there."
Girl, to me:  "Can I help you?"
Me: "I seriously doubt it."

>> That is a model that should also work on the internet (and not only for
>> records but also for books and fashion), yet I have the feeling that it
>> won't.
>
> I have a feeling you're right about that.

The problem is that nobody will pay for it.  Would you pay $1 for such a
recommendation?  Would you pay to subscribe to a web site for such
recommendations? Would you pay an extra $2 on the price of the CD to buy it
from the site that recommended it, or would you go to the cheapest available
price?  Would you believe the recommendations of a site that uses
advertising of music to support itself?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"