POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:23:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Darren New
Date: 25 Jan 2011 13:06:24
Message: <4d3f1120$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> The problem isn't that companies are making stuff impossible to copy.
> The problem is that companies *cannot* make stuff impossible to copy.

Tell that to the Grateful Dead.

>>> Yeah, pretty much. I gather zero-day cracks are a relished challenge
>>> for some people. (Then again, most of the DRM I've seen surely can't
>>> be *that* hard to crack in the first place...)
>>
>> You would be surprised. Almost every crack of modern DRM requires
>> someone to void their warranty.
>
> Heh, like a cracker is going to give a damn about a warranty.

Right. But if *everyone* had to do it to use the DRM-free content, you'd see
far fewer pirated movies and games out there.

> Where have they voided a warranty?

Again, I'm not talking about pure-software DRM. I'm talking about things
like game consoles or e-readers.

>>> So the encrypted link from the graphics
>>> card to the monitor is a completely seperate cryptosystem from the
>>> encryption on the disk (or whatever).
>>
>> Yes? And your point is?
>
> Your monitor doesn't decrypt the disk. Your PC does.

In secure hardware, yes.

>> Sure. If they're stored in the silicon, that's not going to be easy to
>> get out.
>
> Not easy, for sure. But still possible, in essence.

I'm not arguing that.

>>> People paying money for computer systems that purposely prevent them
>>> doing stuff? Not gonna be popular. :-P
>>
>> Game consoles? Blu-ray players? DVD players? No, none of those are
>> popular at all.
>
> Last time I checked, a DVD player isn't a "computer system".

Wow. You really think so?

Shit, man, my TV runs Linux. My TV takes longer to boot than my XBox does.

> Oh, you and I know there's a computer in there. But to most people, it's
> just a player, like a cassette machine is just a player.

But the people who don't know there's a computer in the DVD player aren't
the people who will be cracking the DRM on DVD disks, is it?

> (FWIW, *my* cassette machine actually has a computer in it. Not joking.)

So does my vacuum cleaner. Figure that one out.  (And not even the vacuum
part. Just the power head. $75 to replace the computer in the brush.)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"