POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:24:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Invisible
Date: 25 Jan 2011 05:23:07
Message: <4d3ea48b$1@news.povray.org>
On 25/01/2011 10:17 AM, scott wrote:
>>> Are you sure that is correct? It seems very odd that the song owners
>>> wouldn't charge more for stations that have higher audience figures. It
>>> would mean they'd have to charge an totally insignificant amount to the
>>> big stations in order for small ones to be financially possible.
>>
>> Well, since it's impossible to know how many people are listening at any
>> given instant in time, the price cannot possibly be determined by the
>> number of listeners.
>
> So you're not sure then :-)
>
> You can be sure how many people are listening at any given instant in
> time to within some confidence/accuracy levels. There are plenty of
> companies that deal with collecting such data (eg barb.co.uk does it for
> TV, I'm sure there are similar for radio). Why wouldn't the song owners
> use such figures for setting the prices?

I'm not saying they don't. I'm saying that the price is set by the
*predicted* number of listeners, not the *actual* number, which could be
arbitrarily different.

Still, I suppose there's nothing particularly unusual about that. My car
insurance price is set by the *predicted* probability of me getting a
cheaper quote from somebody else, not the *actual* probability of this.