POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:22:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: scott
Date: 25 Jan 2011 05:22:16
Message: <4d3ea458$1@news.povray.org>
> The problem I have always had with that "harm", though, is the assumption
> that those who illegally copy would have paid for the product if they had
> no other choice.

Yep, the problem is they assume every single illegally downloaded file
would have been bought otherwise.  Sure if piracy was impossible they
might sell a few more copies, but certainly not the same number that
were illegally downloaded.

> Software piracy is like that, though:  Most of the offenders in computer
> games are kids who can't afford the steep prices of many of the
> products.

Or even adults who don't want to spend $750 to have a go at 10 games.
If piracy was impossible then maybe that adult would buy 1 or 2 games,
but to say the industry has lost $750 because he downloaded 10 games is
ridiculous.