POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:20:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Invisible
Date: 25 Jan 2011 05:09:11
Message: <4d3ea147$1@news.povray.org>
>> Yeah, there is the argument that by "illegally" showing people music or
>> whatever that they didn't pay for, they might well go out and buy a copy
>> themselves.
>
> That is not what I meant.

Fair enough. But I think since the earliest days of performance, people
have found out about stuff through word of mouth as well as actual
advertisements.

> I meant DJ's and record shop owners.

One nice thing about smaller shops is that the people running them
*have* to be good at what they do, or they wouldn't still be in
business. If I go to my local car spares shop, the owner *knows*, off
the top of his head, the exact type of headlight bulb my car needs, just
from the make, model and year of the car. Doesn't even need to look it
up. Knows the price off the top of his head too.

I imagine there must be music shops like that. I haven't found any
though. Just the usual big chains staffed by poor broke students. If you
want to know what's hot in the latest street metal pop grunge, they
probably know everything there is to know. If you ask about Bach, they
look at you as if you're slightly strange. (Hey dude, this is a MUSIC
SHOP, right? You sell all kinds of music, not just grunge.)

Similarly, most DJs seem to simply play what they're paid to play. And
they think everything they play is absolutely awesome, which seems
highly implausible given what they play.

Not to take away from your point, though. A good DJ is supposed to be a
music expert. They're meant to know their stuff. And I've been to
parties and gatherings where they pay a DJ to play the music that people
actually want to hear, rather than what the record companies pay them to
play...

> That is a model that should also work on the internet (and not only for
> records but also for books and fashion), yet I have the feeling that it
> won't.

I have a feeling you're right about that.

> One difference is that on the radio you hear it once with some talking
> over in general, whereas from your friend you get the entire thing to keep.

I've heard plenty of radio stations that seem to play endless music with
only a very occasional interjection of a human voice.