POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : My images are too 'clinical'. : Re: My images are too 'clinical'. Server Time
2 Jul 2024 22:32:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My images are too 'clinical'.
From: Alain
Date: 24 Jan 2011 22:13:31
Message: <4d3e3fdb$1@news.povray.org>

> As regards the brick wall, I have gone for a simple box with a more complex
> texture.
>
> I have also made a piece of "paper" from a bicubic_patch, I have used rand for
> the first time to wrinkle the paper and place it randomly with a while loop. It
> took some time, but I have found rand really helpful.
>
> For my light in the lamp I have used a frame. This is causing far too harsh
> shadows, even with radiosity. I don't want to use an area light if possible, are
> there any other options?
>
> About the macros used to build bricks, how do they work? I have read the files
> but don't really understand them. Also I keep reading posts where people say to
> use macros to build a mesh, but I have no idea of how to do this.
>
> D103

Why don't use area_light?

An area_light ,even with a high density, with the adaptive option can be
relatively fast.

Try this, rather extreme, one:
light_source{<40, 80, -40> rgb 1 area_light 8*x, 8*z, 257, 257 adaptive
0 circular orient}
No real need to use jitter with that density.

And compare it to the proposed one from the insert menu.

light_source {<0,0,0> color rgb 1.0
   area_light <8, 0, 0> <0, 0, 8> 4, 4
   jitter circular orient translate <40, 80, -40>
}

Both cover the same area.

Alain