POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:22:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 24 Jan 2011 15:52:58
Message: <4d3de6aa$1@news.povray.org>
>> I still find it slightly weird that if I ask a friend to copy a CD for
>> me, that's illegal.
>
> Not necessarily.

Try telling that to the makers of my CD recorder that only records onto
specially marked disks which cost 7x more "to support the record
industry". In other words, "if you are using our product, you must be
doing something illegal, so we're going to fine you". Yes, thanks, it's
not like I'm a musician myself and I'm using it to copy works which I
legally own the right to copy... >_<

>> But if I turn on my radio and listen to the exact same music, that's
>> completely legal. Either way it costs me nothing, and it's the exact
>> same music. WTF?
>
> The radio station pays a fee every time they play a song.

And that fee is identical regardless of whether they have two thousand
listeners or zero listeners. (Which I guess just means that it's a
really bad - or maybe really good? - deal for the radio operators.)

Still, it's weird that if I guy visits my house and I happen to be
playing a CD, that's illegal, but if that exact same tune happens to be
playing on the radio and he hears it, that's perfectly legal.

In fact, no, this is weirder: If *I* play the radio to him, that's
illegal. Even though he can go out to his car and play his own radio,
and then that's legal. WTF?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/