POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:25:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 24 Jan 2011 12:41:07
Message: <4d3db9b3@news.povray.org>
On 1/24/2011 1:42 AM, scott wrote:
>>> A good example is the adverts before a film on a DVD that you are forced
>>> to watch. A cracked copy will usually cut out the adverts, and some
>>> people would say it is doing no harm by doing that themselves for their
>>> own personal use. But, the fact that the adverts cannot be skipped is
>>> actually creating income for the publisher, without them they'd need to
>>> charge more for the DVD in the first place.
>>>
>> This is funnier than hell. You do realize that 100% of those
>> advertisement are for products *produced* by the same company that you
>> bought the DVD from? Who are they losing revenue from if you remove
>> them, themselves?
>
>> Sure, you "might" see something you want to buy later,
>
> You seemed to answer your own question.
Not really, because if I was interested in buying something else there
are myriad other ways to find it, without having to run through 10
minutes of crap, before getting to the movie. This was way worse on
VCRs, and some bozos actually attempted to pass legislation that would
have *required* DVD players to not allow you to bypass them at all. It
didn't take long for them to figure out this would be a death knell,
based on the consumer reaction to the 1-2 companies that initially tried
to do it, by coding the disc so that the adverts where in the same
segment as the FBI warning (which you can't skip). Even the courts where
not too amused at those sorts of "demands" about whether or not
commercials should be skippable, manually or otherwise. Though.. I am
not sure how the cases ended up with respect to ones that did it
automatically for you. They just didn't always work so well, so fell out
of favor, I think.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {