POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Regarding Australian content filtering... : Re: Regarding Australian content filtering... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:19:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Regarding Australian content filtering...
From: Warp
Date: 22 Jan 2011 14:45:52
Message: <4d3b33f0@news.povray.org>
> Exactly. Guess why the people who decide what goes on this list is also
> secret? I can't imagine why that would be secret either, except to protect
> the people adding things to the list they shouldn't.

  Do you know what's the most egregious part of this whole issue? The
authorities themselves know that the majority of the stuff they put in
the list is not illegal. They are simply padding the list for shows, to
pretend that they are doing something, when they really aren't.

  There are partial lists of banned websites out there (collected by people
who stumble accross them). A big bunch of the urls point to European or
North-American web servers. There is not a single country in Europe or
North America that would not take child pornography seriously and wouldn't
start an immediate investigation if the police department of another country
reported such a website located in their country.

  However, as far as I can tell, the Finnish police does not report these
allegedly illegal websites to the countries where they are located. Why not?
Obviously because they know the material isn't actually illegal. They are
just padding the list for shows. (From the published partial lists, the
majority of the websites contain gay porn, and a small portion have nothing
to do with porn or anything illegal at all.)

  Obviously if there was a website with real child porn in it, the proper
course of action for the Finnish police would be to contact the authorities
of the country where the server is located (as said, many of these servers
are located in Europe and North America). Just adding the websites to the
censorship list and then forgetting about it is probably the worst thing
they could do.

--
                                                          - Warp