POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:25:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Florian Pesth
Date: 22 Jan 2011 14:21:09
Message: <4d3b2e25$1@news.povray.org>
Am Sat, 22 Jan 2011 09:44:47 -0800 schrieb Darren New:

> For example, if you want to quote something that someone said in order
> to criticize it or parody it, that's "fair use" and copyright does not
> restrict you.

That's what I was thinking. It seems similar in the US (even though I'm
not sure about the difference in the details it seems the purpose is the
same). It seems stricter in the netherlands though, if I read andrel
correctly. For this copy in germany you don't need to get permission from
the copyright holder. I guess also that no teacher here tried to make his
own books as the publishing houses are pretty powerful here and if there
is not enough money it is more likely the parents have to pay for the
school books (it depends on the part of germany but I read that where I
went to school up to one third of the books has to be bought by the
parents).

>> But because of this we pay a small fee on any medium or recording
>> device (according to wikipedia 17 cent on a blank DVD disc and 9.21
>> Euro on a DVD Burner)
>
> I have heard this is the case in the USA, but it doesn't get itemized so
> I never found out if it's true. However, I'm pretty sure it has nothing
> to do with "fair use" and entirely to do with the recording companies
> bribing our legislators.

 In germany there is a large organization collecting money from this and
distributing it to the "creators". In principle anyone can register at
this organization and claim money, even if you have a private webpage and
"create content" this way. It pays only for the big guys though (I think
they start paying with 1500 unique page visits for a single page each
month or something like that.