POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:26:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Jan 2011 12:48:12
Message: <4d3b185c@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> It's not as if it's unusual for large corporations to behave in
> irrational and/or counter-productive ways. The fact that lots of them
> use DRM could be "wishful thinking" more than any actual proof of
> effectiveness.

I suspect that people are looking at what's best for the "corporation"
instead of what's best for the management. What's best for the management is
to make the shareholders happy. If the large shareholders don't do the
proper research and simply insist the management institutes DRM[*], that's
what's going to happen, even if the management knows it's a bad idea, as
long as it's not so obviously a bad idea that the management gets fired for
listening to the shareholders.

I.e., it's about the story, just like the TSA is about the story, even if
both are essentially ineffective.

[*] "People are copying our music! We must do something!"
     "DRM is something."
     "We must do DRM!"

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)