POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Partial Output problem : Re: Partial Output problem Server Time
28 Sep 2024 11:11:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Partial Output problem
From: clipka
Date: 22 Jan 2011 08:05:22
Message: <4d3ad612@news.povray.org>
Am 22.01.2011 12:19, schrieb Mr:
> Hi,
> We are trying to implement partial output (border render) into blender's
> exporter.
> What happens is that we got it working except opening the output image crashes
> blender. I suppose it's due to this fact mentioned in povray doc:
>
> """
> When rendering a subset of *rows* (+sr/+er) POV-Ray writes the full height into
> the image file header and only writes those lines into the image that are
> rendered. This can cause problems with image reading programs that are not
> checking the file while reading and just read over the end.
>
> If POV-Ray wrote the actual height of the partial image into the image header
> there would be no way to continue the trace in a later run.
> """

As far as 3.7 is concerned, that section of the docs is actually
outdated: POV-Ray will /always/ write a complete image, with pixels
outside the rendered region filled with black. (This could be improved
for images with alpha channel, as I think it would make more sense to
set the "outside" pixels to all transparent there, but that's a
different topic.)

So maybe you should first investigate what blender actually /expects/. I
wouldn't be surprised if it would expect the rendered image to be
trimmed to the rendered region's size, rather than padded.

While it would definitely be possible to add a switch to POV-Ray to
change that behaviour, it doesn't make much sense to implement it right
/now/: There are currently plans for certain internal changes to how
POV-Ray buffers the output image during rendering, which will also
affected the very same portions of code that would have to be modified
for "your" feature; so chances are it won't be implemented before those
planned changes.