POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:22:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 21 Jan 2011 14:15:06
Message: <4d39db3a$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 09:25:38 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> The way I see it, there's two sides to this DRM stuff.

That's a reasonable view.

I actually had an opportunity to listen to a talk given by the head of
legal at the RIAA last year.  He talked about their strategy (this was in
the context of "intellectual property protection" to a group of exam
creators/publishers), and the underlying part of the strategy that
they've taken is to actually cut off the supply lines for those who
counterfeit products and sell them in the streets, particularly in places
like China and New York.

From that point of view, the strategy makes a lot of sense (I've always
said that they need to go after those who are actually selling
counterfeit products for profit, never considered that the source of the
material for those counterfeit products was largely file sharing, for
example).

That said, there's a difference between preventing illegal distribution
and making it inconvenient to use a product for legal purposes (such as
fair use provisions in US Copyright law - mostly not codified but enabled
through legal precedent).

Jim