POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:21:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 21 Jan 2011 13:26:54
Message: <4d39cfee$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/21/2011 2:19 AM, scott wrote:
>> You can, they are call "3D ready".
>
> Oh, do they really take 120 Hz data and give 60 Hz to each eye? I
> assumed they took 60 Hz and gave 30 Hz to each eye - will need to look
> into that...
 From a quick google:

"3D TV size and refresh rate

While there seems to be no restrictions in terms of TV size, a 3D TV
needs a minimum refresh rate of 120Hz (a basic 60Hz displayed for each
eye). The higher the refresh rate, the smoother the 3D effect. So a
240Hz set will be capable of outputting 120Hz to each eye.

HDMI 1.4 will also be required for full HD per eye viewing."

The forum post I found explaining why I couldn't just use a TV that
claims 120hz, but isn't, I don't remember the link to. But, basically,
while, in theory, you only need 25 frames a second to "see" an image,
this isn't practical for various reasons, especially motion issues,
which is why games *attempt* to always produce at least 50 frames a
second, if not 60. The difference "is" visible, since even though the
eye only needs 25, those 25 don't necessarily match the "frame rate" the
eye is looking at the screen with (i.e., your meat system isn't
"synchronized" with the refresh rate on the display). So, trying to use
30 frames a second, by splitting 60hz (i.e. 60 frames) flat out won't
work properly. The closer you can get to 60 frames a second per eye, the
less likely you are to notice any sort of flicker, blurring, etc., from
desynching.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {