POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:15:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Jan 2011 13:11:59
Message: <4d39cc6f@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> Well they surely have a lot more information than most of us do on the
> subject,

That would be "argument from authority."

> seems unlikely they took the decision to invest in and use DRM without
> some thought.

You put a lot of faith in those sorts of decisions, don't you? :-)

>> Renting something is a little different to *buying* it.
>
> How about if I sell you the right to watch my film 10 times, is that
> renting or buying?

Renting.

> How about 100 times, 1000 times, for 5 years, only
> through a specific media player (eg your TV set-top box)?

Renting.

>> If I buy a ladder,
>
> If someone has spent some time coming up with a novel design (eg those
> ones that collapse and fold 10 different ways) then you're probably not
> allowed to make copies and sell it.  You can claim it's your ladder as
> much as you want, but you don't own the IP for it.

I don't think folks are talking about the IP.  I can buy a DVD then rent it
to the public legally. Copyright only controls copying, at least in the USA.

> Without such laws it would be a waste of money to try and develop
> something as you'd never be able to get enough money in return.

Maybe, maybe not.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: