POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:20:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Jan 2011 12:01:11
Message: <4d39bbd7$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> Surely they are not all wrong?

Yet, many people who write books or play music for free and then sell copies
later manage to sell lots of copies. There was even a very popular group
(whose name I forget) that decided to do an entire professional-quality
album and release it online with "pay what you think it's worth", and wound
up making 10x as much money as they would have had they given it to a
publisher, since most direct downloaders wound up giving them something like
90% of the price they would have paid for it on CD.

Then there's "Machine of Death", a book that you could get online for free
or buy in print from Amazon. I got it online free, and bought copies for
people who I know don't have an e-reader.

The Harry Potter DVD was released with no macrovision protection, saving the
cost of the license of that and apparently not harming sales noticeably.

So the model does work. How well and for how many is another question.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: