POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:24:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: scott
Date: 21 Jan 2011 04:18:04
Message: <4d394f4c$1@news.povray.org>
>    Unless the TV searches for the shapes in the image (as an MPEG-4 codec
> would) and then interpolates those shapes. I would be surprised if it was
> that advanced.

Yes, the "genuine" 120 Hz and 240 Hz TVs do this (even 60 Hz TVs have
had "noise reduction" schemes for ages that use similar motion
estimation techniques).

There is however a much cheaper way to do it that is almost as good.
That is showing the image at normal 60 Hz, but for each frame only
putting the backlight on for 50% of the time (at double the brightness).
  This is called "black frame insertion" and makes any motion look much
smoother.  With LED backlights this is easy to do.