POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : shadowless lights and lack of highlights : shadowless lights and lack of highlights Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:26:10 EDT (-0400)
  shadowless lights and lack of highlights
From: Zeger Knaepen
Date: 20 Jan 2011 19:34:04
Message: <4d38d47c$1@news.povray.org>
This is something I've been wondering for a long time.  The docs say:
"Also note that shadowless lights will not cause highlights on the
illuminated objects."

Now, I understand shadowless lights are meant to be used as fill lights,
and having fill lights cause highlights is often not desired, but there
are situations (and I seem to run into them a lot) where a
highlight-causing-shadowless-light_source would be quite useful.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a separate way of turning off
highlights for a light_source, independant of it's (lack of) casting
shadows?

cu!
--
ZK