POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:24:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 20 Jan 2011 15:55:50
Message: <4d38a156$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/20/2011 11:33 AM, Darren New wrote:

>>> It depends. I certainly am when I buy a kindle document.
>>
>> Really? Do they let you copy it to all your other devices (even those
>> that do not support the Kindle DRM system)? How about printing it out?
>
> Making it easy is not the same as it being legal. And again, I don't
> know how the DMCA changed this, given this is exactly the field which
> DMCA was supposed to be improving.

The DMCA was *specifically* designed to deny this right, which you had
*prior* to its implementation. They wanted, and got, different rules for
a digital copy than they had for the same book, in paper. Which means,
*they* get to dictate how, if, how many, etc. you can have. The, "how
many", is imho, the only valid thing in the whole argument, sort of.
Yet, even in that case, you could, for legit use, photocopy pages out of
a book, for a classroom, or to show someone, etc., as long as you don't
*sell* the book, or its pages, to someone else. Not so with DRMed stuff.
You simply can't *at all* ***EVER***, even if the use would otherwise be
considered legitimate. Heck, they might even be able to bring in some
secondary laws, dealing with recorded content, and sue you for, "using
the content in a performance.", as happened to a few people that made
the mistake of playing their music in a restaurant in at least one case
I know of.

They could, in principle, even deny you the right to what you already
have, if they put in a clause for it, rent it to you (I mean WTF), and,
more to the point, stop supporting the device, in effect, denying your
right to ***everything*** you bought that is on it.

DMCA went way too far, trying to solve one "small" problem. You may
argue that the problem might not have been solvable given the nature of
the media, but then, if so, why the hell is it our fault that they
started selling stuff with legal rights normally attached, in a way that
denies nearly all of them? Never mind.. I know the answers - Theirs:
Money, Ours: Supposed "convenience".

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {