POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:19:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: scott
Date: 20 Jan 2011 03:55:37
Message: <4d37f889$1@news.povray.org>
> Interesting. I was told that all LCDs always operate at 60 Hz and it's
> impossible to change.

That's just a property of the driver electronics, you can change the
voltages sent to the physical LC at any rate you want (of course there
is some upper limit of what is useful due to the response time).  The
response time nowadays (at room temperature) is generally fast enough
for several multiples of 60 Hz to work fine.

 > Similarly, I thought CRTs had specific
> synchronisation circuitry that only works over a very narrow band of
> sync rates.

I'm sure my CRT worked from 60 Hz up to 120 Hz.  IIRC there was a limit
on vsync and hsync, so at 120 Hz vsync you could only use very low
resolutions.

> Well, yeah, there is that too. I'm not aware of any video signal system
> that allows faster framerates.

Well the infrastructure is surely still in the software and hardware (at
least with analogue VGA) for higher framerates as it is commonly used by
CRTs.  Also reading the wikipedia page on DVI it seems there is no limit
for the framerate, only the overall bandwidth in single-link (it gives
1920x1200x120Hz as a valid mode for dual-link).

Just need someone to build a monitor that accepts something other than
60 Hz!