POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:21:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Stephen
Date: 19 Jan 2011 17:56:07
Message: <4d376c07@news.povray.org>
On 19/01/2011 10:28 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 22:09:43 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>
>> On 19/01/2011 9:58 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> Until you get to Glasgow, that is, at which point even people raised in
>>> Glasgow have trouble with the accent, that is.;-)
>>
>> See you Jimmy, can yer mither sew? ;-)
>
> Matter of fact, she does. ;-)

Then get her to stitch this...

>>> Oh, yes, I absolutely can see that - but that's because it's American
>>> grammar, not English grammar.;-)
>>
>> Then call it American not English.
>
> I did, or didn't you notice? :-P

Here;s me thinking you said *Americans*

>>> At times, I'm sure native English speakers think Welsh is easier to
>>> understand.;-)
>>>
>> You must be joking?
>
> Just making sure you're paying attention. ;-)

Having worked at Dwr Cymru for a year, I pay attention. :-)

>> Amazing what “a non-normal situation” can do for a stutter.
>
> Yes, that it was.  I co-taught with him once (well, technically, we
> taught a half week each - he was the first half, I was the second), and
> I'd talk to him during the breaks and he'd be back to his normal accent,
> and then he'd wrap up the lab and start teaching again - so the students
> would notice it as well.

I behaved similarly in Jamaica.  Speaking like "Teach" in workshops but
like me in the office.

>>> There are definitions in Uxbridge English Dictionary that poke some
>>> light- hearted fun at the "t'ick Oirish" accents that always make me
>>> laugh.:-)
>>>

>> ???
>
> In particularly, the way Irish speakers from around Dublin use a hard "T"
> for "Th" - "Third" becomes "T'ird".  I think it was Barry Cryer who
> provided a definition for "Farting" as "Irish for 'a star'".

Again, they do that in Jamaica. Probably picked it up from the Irish
"Indentured servants" who were transported there (and to Barbados) by
Cromwell's son.

--
Regards
     Stephen