POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:27:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 Jan 2011 17:28:47
Message: <4d37659f@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 22:09:43 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 19/01/2011 9:58 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Until you get to Glasgow, that is, at which point even people raised in
>> Glasgow have trouble with the accent, that is.;-)
>
> See you Jimmy, can yer mither sew? ;-)

Matter of fact, she does. ;-)

>> Oh, yes, I absolutely can see that - but that's because it's American
>> grammar, not English grammar.;-)
>
> Then call it American not English.

I did, or didn't you notice? :-P

>> At times, I'm sure native English speakers think Welsh is easier to
>> understand.;-)
>>
> You must be joking?

Just making sure you're paying attention. ;-)

>> Mark used to teach technical courses here in the US, and I was always
>> amazed to hear him teach, because his accent softened considerably in
>> the classroom.  He also has a bit of a stutter, and that also vanishes
>> when he's teaching material he's extremely familiar with.
>>

> Amazing what “a non-normal situation” can do for a stutter.

Yes, that it was.  I co-taught with him once (well, technically, we
taught a half week each - he was the first half, I was the second), and
I'd talk to him during the breaks and he'd be back to his normal accent,
and then he'd wrap up the lab and start teaching again - so the students
would notice it as well.

>> There are definitions in Uxbridge English Dictionary that poke some
>> light- hearted fun at the "t'ick Oirish" accents that always make me
>> laugh.:-)
>>

> ???

In particularly, the way Irish speakers from around Dublin use a hard "T"
for "Th" - "Third" becomes "T'ird".  I think it was Barry Cryer who
provided a definition for "Farting" as "Irish for 'a star'".

Jim