POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:14:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Invisible
Date: 19 Jan 2011 12:04:23
Message: <4d371997$1@news.povray.org>
>> Um... can you actually do that? I mean, do there actually exist any
>> display devices that operate at some frequency other than 50Hz or 60Hz?
>
> IIRC most CRTs could be set to run at almost any frequency up to some
> maximum. 75 and 85 Hz was very common as 60 Hz gave quite bad
> flickering. LCDs can easily manage 120 Hz now, even 480 Hz:

Interesting. I was told that all LCDs always operate at 60 Hz and it's
impossible to change. Similarly, I thought CRTs had specific
synchronisation circuitry that only works over a very narrow band of
sync rates.

> The problem is the TVs are designed to only accept 60 Hz signals and
> create the inbetween frames themselves.

Well, yeah, there is that too. I'm not aware of any video signal system
that allows faster framerates. Not because it's impossible, but just
because it's not allowed by any widely-used standard.