POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:24:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: scott
Date: 19 Jan 2011 11:50:46
Message: <4d371666$1@news.povray.org>
>> When I got 3Dfx card ages ago I remember setting my CRT to 640x480x120Hz
>> and playing Forsaken (one of the bundled games). As long as there wasn't
>> much on-screen action it would run at 120 fps and that was sweeeeet.
>
> Um... can you actually do that? I mean, do there actually exist any
> display devices that operate at some frequency other than 50Hz or 60Hz?

IIRC most CRTs could be set to run at almost any frequency up to some
maximum.  75 and 85 Hz was very common as 60 Hz gave quite bad
flickering.  LCDs can easily manage 120 Hz now, even 480 Hz:

The problem is the TVs are designed to only accept 60 Hz signals and
create the inbetween frames themselves.  If only they could allow higher
frame rate data to be supplied from outside we'd be sorted (also I have
no idea what limitations are in current graphics cards regarding high
framerates).  It surely can't be far off, I expect 3D to drive the
change, as consoles/PCs will soon be required to send data at 120 Hz to
give 60 Hz to each eye.