  Re: Molecular biology
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 18 Jan 2011 21:29:35
Message: <4d364c8f$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/17/2011 10:50 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 00:09:53 -0300, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
>
>> Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> No, really, it doesn't.  At least not to me.
>>
>> Do all religions have such thing as "prayer"?
>
> I couldn't possibly speak to all religions.  Some involve meditation,
> which would be very roughly analogous.
>
> Jim
The effects are certainly analogous, based on study of the effects. A
fact that is quite funny since you don't have to "meditate" *at* anyone
specific to get the result, or about anything specific, etc., so anyone
can do it, where prayer is supposedly "specific" to the deity(ies) in
questions.

That said, no, not all religions use either. Though, the only obvious
one I can think of would be Scientology. In principle, performance of a
ritual, whether it involves something like prayer or not, would qualify
as religious, if directed at connecting to/effecting supernatural
forces. Prayer is simply the most common one for the two "recognized"
religions when ever this stuff comes up (i.e. Christians and Jews), may
be allowed for something like Muslims, if they bother to include them,
and isn't, technically, part of the third one they tend to mention, to
be "inclusive" - Buddhism. However, this is likely because 90% of the
people talking about religions in this context, don't know a bloody damn
thing about the religion, other than its been used as a "safe" one to
pick when talking about their "inclusiveness" for so long that its
almost Pavlovian to include it.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {