POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Survey : Re: Survey Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:12:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Survey
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Jan 2011 11:40:45
Message: <4d35c28d$1@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:
> What Wikileaks scandals represent a state of affairs that is worse now
> than when you were younger?

More like the response to it. When Nixon was called out, we went after the
President, not the newspapers. I don't remember people threatening Deep
Throat with being locked up in solitary without a trial, or being shipped
off to a foreign country military base to be tortured to death.  Pinko
commies got blackballed, not disappeared into torture centers.

> Ditto the Gitmo thing. Trashing the rights of the "other" is part of US
> history.

It is still considered scandalous that Lincoln locked people up without
trial during the civil war. People are still bothered by the US locking up
people of Japanese descent during WW2 - we still recognise *that* as wrong.

And, face it, most people *are* outraged at Gitmo, at bankers trashing the
economy, at the "too big to fail" concept, etc etc etc. Yet it continues.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: