POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:18:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Stephen
Date: 18 Jan 2011 05:28:56
Message: <4d356b68@news.povray.org>
On 18/01/2011 9:43 AM, Invisible wrote:

>> Because it has!
>> The Sony has both the Oxford Dictionary of English and the New Oxford
>> American Dictionary.
>
> Obviously I can't remember exactly which dictionary we had at school,
> but it was a big thick thing from either Oxford or Cambridge or what
> have you. And, as I said, it failed to contain the word I wanted. And
> that was a proper reference dictionary, which cost *money*. It seems
> highly implausible to me that a freebie dictionary would be more
> comprehensive.

What can I say other than I’ve got one and you haven’t?
Well I could say school dictionaries are abridged, your school bought
cheap dictionaries etc.
The dictionary on the Sony is not a freebie it is licenced by the OED
and if you were to buy it, it would cost you money.
I think that it is quite good and there have been few words that I could
not find an entry for. Lots of the entries have a link to the word it
was derived from. Some foreign words in common usage are included as
well. One thing it doesn’t do is select a phrase from the book text and
look it up but you can highlight the first work and see if there is an
entry for that.

BTW "indefatigable" is in this dictionary.

--
Regards
     Stephen