POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:22:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Invisible
Date: 18 Jan 2011 04:22:39
Message: <4d355bdf@news.povray.org>
>> Besides, who wants a system that can delete the books you've paid for at
>> any time, for no defined reason?
>
> Get an ereader that is not a Kindle

Or perhaps just not get an e-reader at all? It's not like *I* want one
anyway. ;-)

> One quite unintended benefit for me was the ability to read my news
> through it.

I guess that could be useful. Of course, *I* don't follow the news, so
that wouldn't apply to me.

> You can have it once a day download all the news and save
> it in a nice format (like epub, which the Kindle is arrogant enough not
> to support - but you can try the mobi format).

It's not "arrogant". It's "product lock-in". It's a feature. ;-)

> Also, I just got sick of having so many physical books.

I'm one of those weird people who actually likes the look of a big
weighty tome. I keep thinking about buying TAOCP, for example. (But then
I realised that I wouldn't understand a word of it, so what's the point?)

On the other hand, I'd only have a few of the best books. I wouldn't
want to fill my house with millions of books that I'll only read once.
But then, I don't read enough for that to be a danger...