POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Survey : Re: Survey Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Survey
From: Darren New
Date: 17 Jan 2011 23:00:59
Message: <4d35107b$1@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:
> Define government: Federal? State? City? My general perception is that
> corruption goes up the larger the constituency.

Same here.  Except HOAs maybe. :-)

> "best interests", but I'd say once you get to the federal level, it
> seems that the primary concern is electability. Most do the most they
> can to benefit themselves within that constraint. Electability is what
> is supposed to guarantee that the country gains as well.

Yep.  But I think they're less worried about getting re-elected now than
they were, perhaps.

> How often have these people who complain a lot decided to "make
> compromises" and end up voting Republican or Democrat? As long as that
> is their reasoned approach, the party they vote for has no incentive to
> cater to them.

Yep. But the very idea that "as long as I get reelected, I'll do anything I
can get away with" is what I'm talking about. I mean, we have all kinds of
scandals, the whole gitmo bay thing, the whole wikileaks thing, etc etc.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: