POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Diabolo : Re: 51 Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:17:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 51
From: Invisible
Date: 17 Jan 2011 07:50:41
Message: <4d343b21$1@news.povray.org>
> Everyone has a dominant arm, so when learning to juggle / diabolo / devil stick
> etc you need to overcome the dominance to make both arms behave similarly. Easy
> to do when concentrating on a single throw, as you say, but as soon as you start
> to focus on the ongoing task of keeping whatever it is moving continuously, it
> needs to become subconscious.

Mmm, indeed.

It's like with the dancing. I do the flick steps wrong. I know it's
wrong, I know what the correct version is, but it's difficult to make my
feet do that.

Or, for that matter, skiing. You're supposed to learn forwards, not
back. This simple instruction is maddeningly difficult to follow.

> I learnt a new juggling pattern last year, first time in ages. I too was amazed
> at how quickly I advanced one day to the next (once I'd actually worked out what
> to do, at any rate!)

Well that's just it. I spent ages practising, making little or no
progress at all. And then suddenly one day, I pull off this freak run of
51 (which I have yet to repeat). Although, the other day I managed 44.
Just once. (It would have been 45, but there was an obstacle in the way.)