POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Default camera aspect ratio : Re: Default camera aspect ratio Server Time
2 Jul 2024 22:35:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Default camera aspect ratio
From: Warp
Date: 16 Jan 2011 10:33:39
Message: <4d330fd3@news.povray.org>
Gyscos <gys### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> But shouldn't the default value be set to the ratio of the image's pixels ?

  No, because changing the image aspect ratio while keeping the pixel aspect
ratio changes the framing, and hence the composition of the image, in other
words, part of the image will be cropped, or previously unseen parts (which
might be unmodeled!) might come into view.

  The ultimate decision of the images framing should be with the author,
not the person who renders the image. (Please skip nitpicking about the
latter being able to modify the scene if he wants. You know what I mean.
And by "you" I mean people reading this in general.)

  Possible solutions to this have been presented here:
http://bugs.povray.org/task/85

> Squared pixels, if not omnipresent, are at least more common than non-suared
> pixels (especially with non-cathodics screens), and the current "4/3" default
> ratio pretty much sounds like a magic number to me anyway.

  4/3 is not a magic number because it's the most common and ubiquitous
aspect ratio.

--
                                                          - Warp