  Re: Molecular biology
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 15 Jan 2011 21:46:43
Message: <4d325c13$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/14/2011 9:43 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> The problem here is that, in the case of fruit flies, the "behavior"
>> is genetic, but your counter example is not.
>
> What counter-example do you think I'm claiming?
>
>  > Thus, it cannot represent
>> either a valid counter example, nor an invalidation of Warp's claim.
>
> I'm not trying to invalidate Warp's claim. Nowhere did I say Warp was
> wrong in his claim. I just asked him how he defines "species" beyond
> "it's genetic". Because by *his* definition, two men are not of the same
> species.
>
>> Show that the behavior of the fruit flies can be "trained", or
>> otherwise altered, without changing the genetics,
>
> Well, you take a homogenous group of fruit flies. You put them in a two
> different environments for a while. You bring them back together. Their
> behavior is changed. I don't know if the change is genetic or not. It
> would seem to me that fruit flies have very little behavior that isn't
> dictated genetically - it's not like you can train them to do tricks. I
> didn't see anything in the reference I gave that said the fruit flies
> were still genetically compatible. Warp seems to be asserting that the
> fruit flies are still genetically compatible, and it's just that they're
> not sufficiently friendly with the other group any more or something.
>
> I'm simply asking Warp to tell me what test he would use to find out if
> two individuals are the same species. You can't just say "it's genetic."
> Yes, we understand that, but the details are what we're arguing about.

The distinction here would be, "Its genetic, but the genetics involve
purely 'behavior', not development." Obviously, the combination of
genetics from two individuals is a "developmental" issue, such that you
could have compatibility on that level, but not in the behavior level.
You could have the opposite (not terribly uncommon, despite the ick
factor) where the developmental aspects are 100% incompatible, but
behavior, for some reason, is driven wrong. For simpler species, which
could be a tiny flaw in a pheromone receptor, which suddenly "reacted"
to the wrong species. For complex ones, it can be a result of plasticity
in the behavior, resulting in what amount to false associations with the
target species. In either case, the "genetics" on the developmental
level simply won't allow it to work.

That behavior "can be" driven by genetics is not the key factor. It is
*if* the genetic driven characteristics actually result in changes
either behaviorally, or developmentally, which prevent cross breeding.
The fruit fly case is unusual, in that the deviation is purely, for now,
in the behavioral aspects, but it wouldn't take too many tweaks in the
rest of the genome, once trading of such changes no longer take place,
to make it *both* behavioral and developmental.

Its still "genetics driven", either way. Its just more.. reversible, of
other factors in the developmental process itself do not yet derail
cross breeding. I would argue things like Ligers and the like, do not
qualify the two species as "same", since the result can't produce more
of its own, or of either of its parent species. The developmental code
has changed sufficiently that even if the behavior can be overcome, the
other aspects *cannot*. But, there was certainly, at some stage, a point
where this wasn't true, or where it was only true for a larger
percentage of offspring than it was successful.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {