  Re: Molecular biology
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 14 Jan 2011 22:31:40
Message: <4d31151c$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/14/2011 10:17 AM, Darren New wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>> Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
>>
>>> Well, give a definition that shows two men are the same species, that
>>> a bacteria's descendants are the same species, and that these two
>>> populations of fruit flies are the same species. What exactly has to
>>> be in the genetics?
>>
>> I don't think you get it. What I said is that the claim "two groups of
>> animals have been speciated away from each other if they won't interbreed
>> because of instinctual preference" (rather than their genes being
>> incompatible) is an incorrect definition.
>>
>> You can't argue pro that definition with the argument "well, you can't
>> give a better definition". That argument coulud be used to defend
>> anything.
>
> I'm not arguing against it. I'm asking you what your definition is. You
> say "it's genetics", but that isn't enough. You're treating my question
> as if I'm saying "you're wrong." I'm happy to be shown you're right, but
> you haven't done that yet.
>
> *You* are the one asserting it's genetics and can't be just behavior.
> *You* are saying *I* am wrong. But you're not supporting that. You're
> just saying it louder.

The problem here is that, in the case of fruit flies, the "behavior" is
genetic, but your counter example is not. Thus, it cannot represent
either a valid counter example, nor an invalidation of Warp's claim.
Show that the behavior of the fruit flies can be "trained", or otherwise
altered, without changing the genetics, or introducing, say, the right
pheromone on the female (which is just a short cut to altering *its*
genetics).

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {