  Re: Molecular biology
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Jan 2011 15:21:10
Message: <4d30b036$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 20:08:29 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 14/01/2011 7:43 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> The one from last Monday.
>>
> I missed it. :-(

That's what "Listen Again" is for (but you knew that <g>).

>> I'd find it hard to believe you haven't been listening since they
>> started up 3 weeks ago.:-)
>>

> I know, I've been listening to them offline. I've just downloaded it.
> ipdl.exe has stopped working and I'm using "Web PVR Manager" to record
> things. It is not the easiest interface I have used. I thought that I
> had listened to it but it must have been S54 e2 the one with the Swanee
> Kazoo.
>
> So Wheesht while I get on with it ;-)

I found a link to the WMA files and have been converting them to MP3 to
listen to.  Quality's not quite so good (I really wish they'd make it
available as a podcast), but we can listen to them.

The weird thing is that on my computers, I can listen on "listen again",
but apparently the iPhone link (which iplayer_dl uses) hasn't been
updated with the files.  But if I try to listen on my phone (using the
built-in web browser or the installed Firefox browser I put on it a few
weeks ago), I get a message saying that I can't listen to it because I'm
not in the UK.

But on my PCs (all of them), it plays from those same links.

So the first episode, we actually hooked a laptop up to the clock radio
in the bedroom.

What I've taken to is using mplayer to dump the audio from the WMA stream
to a WAV file and then converting that.  Messy, and if it times out I
have to start over (and it has to play through the entire programme
rather than just downloading it), but as a guy I used to work with used
to say, "if it's stupid but it works, it ain't stupid". <g>

Jim