POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:15:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Jan 2011 12:18:19
Message: <4d30855b$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 09:16:16 +0000, Invisible wrote:

>>> Besides, who wants a system that can delete the books you've paid for
>>> at any time, for no defined reason?
>>
>> That's what backups are for.
>
> Can the Kindle actually do that? I know Amazon automatically lets you
> download items again if they have a record of you purchasing them, but
> that's still no help if they delete it from the catalogue.

I don't know, I have a Nook, and I can do it on there.

>> (Yes, I typically do strip the
>> DRM from my purchases; they're my purchases, after all).
>
> 1. How is that possible?

GIYF.  With Nook purchases, you need to know the name and credit card
number to strip the DRM.

> 2. Isn't that illegal?

Debatable.  Are there laws that say circumventing electronic protections
on content is illegal in the US?  Yes. (actually, DMCA specifically
prohibits the publication of code that breaks DRM)  Does that mean I
can't do that for my own personal use?  That's debatable.  I bought the
content, and I'm not breaking the DRM to profit from it - but to preserve
my access to the content in the event that I cannot get it back again.

That's something that hasn't been challenged in court (from either side).

>>> It also thinks its am MP3 player. I have no idea why. The sound
>>> quality of a 2mm speaker is, obviously, abysmal.
>>
>> That's what headphones or speakers are for.
>
> Riiight. So I can pay £40 or more for the headphones with the special
> phone-specific plug and listen to low-quality MP3 playback.

Well, on my phone and on my Nook, they use a standard headphone jack.

> Or I could, I don't know, use my MP3 player...

Sure, you could.  Or you could have bought a device that uses a standard
jack instead of having something weird that is only compatible with one
device.

Jim