POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:17:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: scott
Date: 14 Jan 2011 05:00:45
Message: <4d301ecd$1@news.povray.org>
> Making a DAC what "works" is probably quite trivial. Making one that can
> isolate all the signal noise from the rest of the phone, handle sudden
> transients while being powered only by a feeble half-flat battery, and
> so on and so forth is probably much harder.

But you're still only talking about 20 kHz signals, the rest of the
phones deals with exactly those same issues for frequencies many orders
of magnitudes higher.  The audio DAC is probably one of the simplest
parts in the phone for the designers to do.

> Then again, it's MP3, so it probably won't sound fantastic anyway.
> Certainly most people are going to plug in those horrid £2 things from
> the market, so the quality of the electronic signal is quite irrelevant.

Exactly, they're not really expecting Mr Hi-Fi to connect up his 30 quid
Nokia to a 20k hi-fi with a gold-plated half-inch-thick 2xphono to 3.5mm
cable.  At best they are expecting you to connect a 100 quid pair of
headphones to it and listen on the train, and in that case I doubt most
people would be able to tell the difference between having a phone or an
mp3 player connected up.

> Far more problematic than carrying the player is carrying the large £30
> headphones I usually use it with.

Invest in a smaller pair for when it's not practical to carry the large
pair?  I rarely take my large pair out of the house (long-haul flights
is one example where I do make the effort to carry the big pair).