9 Oct 2024 02:30:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Molecular biology
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Jan 2011 01:27:19
Message: <4d2e9b47@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 19:54:12 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> And, I would, and many
> others have, that if you do not enforce the matter strictly, you lend
> yourself to a slow erosion of principle, in which the number of people
> trying to actively violate it, or find ways around it, or even
> repeal/change it, increases, as more and more succeed in finding such
> loopholes. We often have difficulty seeing this, for much the same
> reason the other side can't imagine every problem being solved from
> guns, or prayer, or capitalism, or what ever combination of notions they
> think are king of the hill at the time.

My word, that's a very long run-on sentence. ;-)

But it boils down to the "slippery slope" argument, and while I have been
guilty of using it myself in the past, in more recent times, I've not
really been convinced of it.

Both ideologies use the argument when it suits them.

I'm not really sure what the rest of what you wrote was, because it was
so difficult to read.  Sorry.

Jim