  Re: Molecular biology
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 12 Jan 2011 22:07:56
Message: <4d2e6c8c$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/12/2011 8:53 AM, Warp wrote:
> Darren New<dne### [at] sanrrcom>  wrote:
>> Warp wrote:
>>>    Of course it is. It's an implicit encouragement from the government for
>>> people to follow a religious custom.
>
>> Does this mean Black History Month implies you should go out and be Black
>> for a few weeks?
>
>    How exactly does "Black History" imply "you should *be* black"?
>
>    It implies that people should study and consider the history of black
> people, doesn't it? So yes, it is quite a similar thing.
>
>    Likewise "national day of prayer" promotes prayer. Not all people are
> either firm believers or firm unbelievers. There *are* impressionable
> people who may follow authority in these matters, and it's certainly *not*
> the place for a secular government to promote religion.

Yes, this is precisely the point being missed by others. "Black History
Month", doesn't imply you should examine Chinese Immigrants, American
Indians, or some UFO nuts "Reptiloid aliens living in the center of the
Earth.". It means they look at "Black History". Someone calls for a day
of prayer, it doesn't mean, "How about buying a lot of lattes, watching
more TV, going to dance clubs, nude bicycling, or 5 billion other things
you might opt to do." It means, "We would like to encourage you to do
something specifically religious, not not just religious, but specific
to a specific 'set' of religions, since some don't." To me, this is a
huge, Duh! I literally don't get why others can't see what is wrong with it.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();